National Healthy Homes Training Center and Network
Project Funder: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)Project Partners:
Project Description: Healthy Housing Solutions, Inc. operates the National Healthy Homes Training Center and Network through a contract from HUD and support from EPA. The Training Center provides training through its network of partners around the country.
The target audiences for the training are environmental health practitioners, public health nurses, housing professionals, community outreach workers, tribal environmental health officials, and leaders of community-based organizations. The overall goals of the training are:
- Provide training for public health and housing practitioners in the assessment and treatment of housing-related health hazards, with a focus on practical and cost-effective methods;
- Promote cross-training of public health and housing practitioners;
- Create a forum for the exchange of practical guidance about healthy housing strategies among federal, state, tribal, and local agency staff;
- Develop a mechanism for the ongoing introduction of new research findings into public health training and practice; and
- Identify and optimize opportunities for networking, collaboration, and partnerships.
The Training Center Curriculum Committee reviews all curriculum proposals for approval and advises the Training Center Partners and Trainers about other curricular matters
Since its inception in 2005, the Training Center has trained over 17,000 individuals; expanded from seven to more than 50 partners; developed a healthy homes awareness video; launched a Healthy Homes Clearinghouse for online information about healthy homes; launched a new Healthy Homes Specialist Credential with the National Environmental Health Association (NEHA), and developed a wide range of courses.
For questions about the Healthy Homes Training Center, contact Susan Aceti at 443.539.4153.
For questions about registration, contact Laura Titus at 443.539.4161.